Where is student media headed in the digital age? How are campus publications and broadcast engaging new audiences? How are student media telling stories that lack coverage from mainstream press?
On Saturday, October 28, Northeastern University’s School of Journalism is hosting “The Student Media Innovation Conference,” a day of hands-on workshops, breakout discussions and lightning talks on newsletter strategies, fact-checking and fighting fake news, and speaking truth to Higher Ed.
Featuring a keynote from Betsy O’Donovan, executive director and general manager at The Daily Tar Heel and 2013 Nieman Fellow at Harvard University. Free MuckRock accounts for all your public records needs. Thanks to our partners Parse.ly and Flytedesk for support!
Where do I register?
Where and when?
805 Columbus Ave.
Boston, MA 02118
Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017
10am – 3pm
9:30am – Coffee
11am – 1pm – Hands-on workshops
- Content and Social Media Analytics Using Free Tools with Cat McGloin (SLIDES HERE)
- FOIA Bootcamp with MuckRock’s Mike Morisy
- Data, Infographics and Visualization with Steven Braun
- Building an Audience and Advertising Base with Flytedesk’s Piper Jackson-Sevy (SLIDES HERE)
- You Need a Newsletter Strategy with Betsy O’Donovan
- Fighting Fake News with First Draft’s Nic Dias (SLIDES HERE)
1-2pm – Lunch and “Speed-dating”
2-3pm – Breakout discussions. Attendees will propose sessions and then vote. The top five sessions will run. Below, some themes that have been proposed so far.
- Mission Control: Five Student Publications to Follow
- How Do You Know What Your Audience Wants?
- Resist: Covering Student Activism
- How to Avoid Alienating Marginalized Identities
- Muppet Theory: What the Muppets Can Teach Us About Sustaining a Digital Newsroom Culture
Closing – Student-led takeaways.
About our partners
MuckRock is a non-profit, collaborative news site that brings together journalists, researchers, activists, and regular citizens to request, analyze, and share government documents, making politics more transparent and democracies more informed. https://www.muckrock.com/
Flytedesk builds tools for student media. Our national ad booking platform helps student newspapers bring in more national advertising. We also have tools that help papers bring in more local advertising, and a forum, flyteboard, that lets our 450+ members share ideas, ask questions, and connect. https://www.flytedesk.com
Parse.ly empowers companies to understand, own and improve digital audience engagement through data, so they can ensure the work they do makes the impact it deserves. Our clients, who include some of the largest media companies in the world, harness their content’s potential through our real-time and historical analytics dashboard, API, and data pipeline.
The team at Parse.ly proudly supports the future of journalism and the digital media industry through our University Partnership, which provides access to the enterprise level analytics that thousands of content creators around the world use every day to reach their audiences better. See the results of these partnerships by visiting https://www.parse.ly/resources/parsely-u/.
Have an idea for a breakout session or want to host one yourself? Get in touch!